Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Crazy Chocolate Espresso Bean Cookies

If crazy and hyper could come in the form of a cookie, it would totally be these! One of my friends from work (one I spent all last year with in Iraq and who has become a really good friend) left on Monday for her new duty station. *Side Note: The one thing I dislike about the Army the most is that we spend a couple years at a location, making friends and forming relationships, then have to leave - it's horribly sad :(

Anyway, I wanted to make something for here that said, "Good luck. I'll miss you, and thanks for being such a good friend!" So, as I looked at my cupboard, I realized I had chocolate covered espresso beans (one of her favorite indulgences...a favorite that we both share). I wanted to make cookies, so I took a wonderful fantastic delicious chocolate cookie recipe from here and...embellished...a little.



Cookies:

Take this recipe.

Add about half a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.

Bake 8-10 minutes at 350. Let cool completely before frosting.


Frosting:

1/2 c butter, softened

1 1/2 c powdered sugar

2/3 c cocoa powder

4 Tbsp Instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 c water

2 tsp vanilla

Handful of chocolate covered espresso beans, ground fine

Sift the sugar and cocoa powder. Cream the dry ingredients and butter. Add the coffee and vanilla. Mix until everything is combined and it starts getting fluffy. Fold in the espresso beans.

I tried piping the frosting on with a star tip, but since I wasn't particularly concerned with sifting out the larger pieces, the tip kept getting clogged. I ended up just spreading it on. I them to my friend after the farewell lunch to keep her awake on the road, then took the rest into the office the next day. They disappeared in about an hour. One of things I love about the Army, I can bake to my heart's content and not worry about getting fat since there is always someone at work in need of baked goods :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...